Alexander Sawatzke, M.D., is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Alexander Sawatzke M.D.
- Hometown: Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Title and department at UNMC/Nebraska Medicine: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation
Research/professional interests: Foot and ankle trauma, hammertoes, bunions, flat feet, great toe arthritis, plantar fasciitis, sports injury of the foot and ankle, ankle instability, arthritis of the foot and ankle including ankle arthroplasty, foot and ankle deformity, Charcot deformity and lower extremity deformity.
How I fell in love with orthopaedics: I had spine surgery at a young age and quickly became interested in orthopaedics. I did well as a patient and experienced the improvement in quality of life first hand. My interest only grew as I progressed through undergraduate school. I found the basic sciences and biomechanics very intriguing. My decision to pursue orthopaedics as a profession was solidified while caring for patients with total joint replacements, sports injuries and musculoskeletal trauma. Patients had solvable problems and were very satisfied with their care. It is fulfilling to be able fix a patient's problem and give them back their quality of life.
- M.D., University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, 2009-2013
- Residency, orthopedic surgery, Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners, Grand Rapids, Mich., 2013-2018
- Fellowship, foot and ankle, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, 2018-2019
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society
- The American Orthopaedic Association
Three things you may not know about me:
- I ran a sports camp for young kids in the metro area when back home from college.
- I enjoy staying active -- roadbiking, weightlifting, outdoor activities, and golf.
- I look forward to ski trips out west.
I’ve known Dr. Sawatzke for a long time. He is a caring, passionate and dedicated professional.
Congratulations, Dr. Sawatzke!