Each Thursday, we profile a member of the med center community. Today we meet:
- Name: Pamela Smith
- Hometown: Cleburne, Texas
- No. of years at UNMC: Two years on Jan. 22
Tell us a bit about what you do here at UNMC.
I work in the UNMC Department of Human Resources (HR) as a human resources information system (HRIS) data/records technician. I am responsible for training/assisting department personnel action form (PAF) coordinators with changes in their employee's position information. I create a monthly PAF coordinator newsletter that includes any changes, updates and any additional information that enables accuracy in their daily job task. I participate in the data integrity to ensure accuracy of the data in our Employee Information System. I participate in business process improvement teams to streamline the data entry processes where available. The main thing is, I get to help others resolve any issue they have.
Accountability is one of UNMC's brand values. Tell us of a time you witnessed a person or group demonstrating accountability at UNMC.
I see this every day in HR. I noticed from the first day I started with UNMC that the people take pride in and love what they do. Everyone strives to ensure that all the needs are met for the people they are serving by being honest and continuously doing the right thing for our employees. We learn something new every day, which is why I love what I do and enjoy being part of helping others.
What is your favorite winter activity?
I really don't like winters or cold weather. My favorite winter activity would be sitting by a fire, dreaming of being on a nice warm beach somewhere.
List three things people may not know about you.
- My husband and I adopted a 5-year-old Shih-Tzu on Thanksgiving a year ago. She was a mill dog and obviously severely abused. A lot of people told us she would never trust anyone and that we were wasting our time. One of the ladies at the rescue said she was the worst they had ever seen and was cautiously optimistic she would ever come out of this. In this past year, she has let us touch her. She plays with her toys and shows her tummy, and she doesn't fight us to go on a leash to go outside (unless it is cold or dark outside) -- all on her terms. She has taught us to have more patience by letting her show us when or if she wants to be close to us and to never give up on her. She still has a very long way to go, but she is definitely well worth the effort. Yes, she stole our hearts from the very beginning.
- I was raised in La Vista, Nebraska, but I call Texas my home due to living there the majority of my life. As a bonus, I got to meet my husband of 30-plus years there.
- I have my graphic design degree and love creating new designs for my family, as well as others. Overall, my passion is helping others.
Pam utilizes the patience she has learned from her Shih-Tzu to deal with this newbie and her passion for helping others is evident in every interaction we have had. Thank you Pam for all of your help the past few months along with more help to come!
Pam is always extremely helpful and thorough. Thank you so much for all that you do!
Pam provides some of the best customer service at UNMC! She is reliable, knowledgeable and very personable! I appreciate her very much!
Pam is a wonderful employee. I have the privilege of working with her and I am so glad that she is a part of the HR organization.
Pam, we are BLESSED to have you on the HR team!
Pam is amazing! We are so lucky to have you here at UNMC. Thank you for all you do!
Pam is simply THE BEST. She is always extremely patient and helpful to the nth degree. We are so fortunate to have her as part of the UNMC family. Thank you, Pam, for all you do for everyone every day!