Each Thursday, we profile a member of the med center community. Today we meet:
- Name: Mary DeSive
- Hometown: Rushville, Nebraska
- Number of years at UNMC: 19
Tell us a bit about what you do here at UNMC.
I provide administrative and accounting support for the McGoogan Library. I have a wide variety of duties, which touch on human resources, payroll, travel and finances. Every day is different.
Innovation is one of our ITEACH values. Tell us of a time you witnessed a person or group at UNMC exhibit this value.
The library is always looking at ways to innovate, and one of the biggest ways we're working on that now is the renovation. We'll have new kinds of spaces that have never been available on campus before, such as the faculty commons. We're also improving and expanding spaces such as the makerspace and wellness rooms. We're working hard to make this a library for the future.
What is your favorite winter activity?
Staying warm. I love to curl up with a hot drink and a warm blanket and read or watch movies with my family.
List three things people may not know about you.
- I attended a one-room schoolhouse from kindergarten through eighth grade, where I was one of three students in my grade.
- I love travel. My bucket list is miles long and has recently led me to a part-time gig as a travel agent.
- I've been an avid writer since I was a child. One of my 2020 goals is to finally publish one of my novels.