Dr. Chatterjee named dean of Chicago Medical School
UNMC Graduate Studies alumnus Archana Chatterjee, M.D., Ph.D., has been named dean of Chicago Medical School and vice president for medical affairs at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. Dr. Chatterjee is the first woman to serve as dean at CMS and is believed to be the first female dean of a U.S. medical school of Indian descent, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges. Dr. Chatterjee earned her Ph.D. degree from UNMC in 1993, and also served a postdoctoral research appointment at UNMC.
Bookstore announces sale beginning Monday
The UNMC Bookstore will have a 15% off "School's Out for the Summer!" sale beginning Monday, May 11 and running through May 22. The sale excludes lab coats and textbooks.
New Student Senate officers announced
The new Student Senate Officers for 2020-2021 are:
- President/Student regent: Tom Schroeder, M3/College of Medicine, Lincoln
- Vice president: Lauren Greufe, M4/College of Medicine, Elkhorn
- Secretary: Sammy Muhia, MLS/College of Allied Health Professions, Bellevue
- Treasurer: Hannah Tandon, M3/College of Medicine, San Marino, California
Two UNMC employees with more than 40 years experience were among the retirements announced by the UNMC Department of Human Resources in April.
Lora Arnold, of the UNMC Department of Pathology and Microbiology, retired May 1 after beginning her UNMC career on June 13, 1977. Michelle Hess, of the Munroe-Meyer Institute's Human Genetics Lab, who started at UNMC on May 30, 1979, will retire on Nov. 3 of this year.
Another longtime employee, Jeanne Ferbrache of UNMC Academic Affairs, retired April 2. She began her career at UNMC on April 16, 1980. Other retirements announced were:
- Ernest Sigler, D.D.S., UNMC College of Dentistry, will retire July 1 (start date Aug. 1, 2005)
- Karen Brungardt, UNMC Department of Internal Medicine-Pulmonary, will retire May 2 (start date March 16, 2015)