Furqan Khattak, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Furqan Khattak, MD
- Hometown: Peshawar, Pakistan
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, subspecialty education coordinator, UNMC Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology
- Innovation in medical education
- Multimodality cardiac imaging
- Trans-radial cardiac catheterization
- Ethics in the business of medicine
How I fell in love with cardiology: I drew my inspiration to become a physician from my father, whom I grew up seeing dedicate his life to caring for his patients and improving public health. Studying the heart has always fascinated me. Being an organ only the size of a fist, yet powerful enough to sustain life, its dynamism and refusal to give up parallels my journey in life. Being an academic cardiologist allows me to solve mind-stimulating medical puzzles, process two-dimensional and three-dimensional cardiac images, and perform high stake procedures requiring fine motor skills; all while learning from the best colleagues and teaching the next generation of physicians. My joy is twofold when I am able to relieve someone's distress, which is my ultimate goal in life.
- MBBS, Khyber Medical University, Peshawar, Pakistan, 2009
- Residency, internal medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2015
- MS, University of Pittsburgh, 2019
- Fellowship, cardiovascular disease, East Tennessee State University, 2020
- Fellow of American College of Physicians
- American College of Cardiology
Three things people may not know about me:
- Acquiring new skills is my passion. I am a self-taught photographer and architect, and I make professional-grade architectural drawings and 3D interiors.
- My last two adventures were building a 135-inch home theater in my basement for movies and gaming and successfully tearing down a supposedly impossible all-in-one computer to its core to upgrade the components.
- I love traveling with my wife and kids, who brighten up my days.
- Nebraska Medical Center
- Durham Outpatient Center Heart and Vascular Center
Congratulations and welcome Dr. Khattak!