Kai Yang, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Kai Yang, MD
- Hometown: San Diego
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
My interests are all aspects of hand and upper extremity surgery, peripheral nerve surgery and general reconstructive surgery, including microsurgery. I also have an interest in extremity reconstruction utilizing free tissue transfers, targeted muscle reinnervation and myoelectric bioprosthetic.
How I fell in love with plastic surgery:
Growing up, I always enjoyed working with my hands. When I decided to pursue medicine, I was naturally drawn to the surgical specialties. Plastic surgery is special to me in the sense that it focuses on the restoration of both form and function and allows me to operate as a surgeon from head to toe. I was drawn to hand and upper extremity surgery during residency due to the fact that I was able to work with all tissue types including fixing fractures, repairing/reconstructing nerves and tendons and restoring blood flows to the extremity, as well as repairing skin and soft tissues. It’s the perfect marriage of orthopedic surgery and plastic surgery. The intricacy and complexity of the anatomy involved and ultimately the ability to restore critical function for my patients are what I enjoy the most in my specialty.
- MD, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Residency, plastic surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Fellowship, hand and upper extremity surgery, Oregon Health & Sciences University Hospital
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Three things people may not know about me:
- I'm a dog lover and considered becoming a vet.
- I'm considering pursuing a degree in astrophysics at some point in my life.
- I'm an avid basketball and tennis player.
- Lauritzen Outpatient Center and Fritch Surgery Center
- Village Pointe Clinic and Outpatient Surgery Center
Welcome, we need your talent. E. Silva, MD, PhD, FACS, FSSO