Jessica Semin, DNP, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Jessica Semin, DNP
- Hometown: Omaha
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC College of Nursing
- Health system and process improvements
- Interdisciplinary health education
- Interprofessional collaborative initiatives
- Patient safety
- Student wellness
How I fell in love with nursing education:
Nursing education was definitely not my original plan. As a new nursing student, my vision was to work on a critical care unit on the night shift and to never go back to school, which is the exact opposite of what I did. While working as a CNA on an inpatient unit and in a skilled nursing facility during nursing school, I began to see the importance of preventative care and the public health infrastructure. At the same time, I was involved in UNMC service-learning activities, which gave me the opportunity to learn about the power of the social determinants of health. Both experiences opened my eyes to the public health world. It is an honor to be able to teach nursing students about the importance of public and population health. Seeing the learning lightbulb moments among students and the excitement of our community partners during health education presentations continuously reminds me of my love for education, public health and nursing!
- BSN, UNMC, 2015
- MPH, public health administration, UNMC, 2017
- DNP, nurse leader/executive, UNMC, 2021
- American Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society
- Nebraska Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
- UNMC College of Public Health Alumni Council
Three things people may not know about me:
- I am a three-time UNMC grad and have worked in the College of Public Health, the College of Medicine and the College of Nursing.
- I am a proud seventh-generation Omahan.
- I’ve worked in many career fields, including retail, child care and real estate.
Jessica, so glad that you chose public health and public health nursing! You are at the beginning of a wonderful contributory career. Kathy Kaiser
Congratulations Jessica! I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with you!
Congratulations Jessica! Hope to collaborate again with you soon!
Welcome to UNMC as a faculty member!
What a terrific person to have as faculty here at UNMC, so welcome Jessica!! I know you'll do wonderful things in this new role!!
Welcome (again) to UNMC Jessica! So happy to have you, your passion and your talents here on board!