Melodi Javid Whitley, MD, PhD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Melodi Javid Whitley, MD, PhD
- Hometown: Rockville, Maryland
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor and director of transplant dermatology, UNMC Department of Dermatology
My mission as a dermatologist is to improve how we prevent and treat the dermatologic side effects of immunosuppression, specifically in transplant patients.
- BS, chemistry, BA, Spanish language and literature, University of Maryland, College Park
- PhD, molecular cancer biology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- MD, Duke University
- Internship, internal medicine, Duke University Medical Center
- Residency, dermatology, Duke University Medical Center
- Chief resident, dermatology, Duke University Medical Center
How I fell in love with dermatology:
As a scientist, I have a strong background in both virology and oncology. Meanwhile, I enjoy the clinical aspects of both medical and procedural specialties. Dermatology really allowed me to put together all of my interests in one specialty. I am honored to be caring for patients as a dermatologist.
- American Academy of Dermatology
- International Transplant Skin Cancer Collaborative
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
Three things people may not know about me:
- I am trilingual. My first language was Persian and in college I studied Spanish. I appreciate the chance to connect with patients in their native language whenever possible.
- My husband and I first met in an operating room!
- I enjoy running and have run a few half-marathons.
- Lauritzen Outpatient Center
- Village Point