The UNMC Department of IT-Academic Technologies will be offering hour-long professional development sessions for faculty members beginning in February. Registration is now open for the sessions, which will be held in the Sorrell Center, Room 2006 and via Zoom.
Topics will include:
Things Students Want You to Use in Canvas: Feb.5, noon-1 p.m.
In this session, we will identify different features in Canvas students wish faculty would use to make their Canvas experience easier. We will discuss how to use features in Assignments, the Calendar, To-Do list and the Grade Book to help improve the student Canvas experience. Find more information and register here.
Engaging Students with PowerPoint in Echo360 ALP: Feb. 12, noon-1 p.m.
The session will include:
- Using the PowerPoint Ribbon Add-on;
- Creating and editing activity slides using the PowerPoint Ribbon;
- Publishing or updating presentations through PowerPoint; and
- Showing or hiding slides in PowerPoint and Echo360 ALP.
Coming Soon to Canvas: March 4, noon-1 p.m.
The session will introduce new Canvas feature releases in 2020 including:
- New course and user analytics (replacing the current analytics in March 2020); and
- New Rich Content Editor (RCE) interface (replacing the current RCE in June 2020).
Bookmarking, Study Guide Note-taking, and Flagging (Oh My!) in Echo360 ALP: March 11, noon-1 p.m.
The session will demonstrate how your students can capitalize on these Echo360 ALP features:
- Note taking to create a downloadable study guide;
- Bookmarking in notes to identify the material the student would like to return to later;
- Creating a confusion flag to identify material the student finds confusing;
- Posting and responding to a Q&A Discussion post; and
- Searching for items across the entire course, including classes, videos, presentations, notes and Q&A discussion posts.
Canvas Gradebook: What You May Not Know: April 1, noon-1 p.m.
This session will include:
- Setting up a grading scheme;
- Importing grades from Canvas into MyRecords;
- Using Missing and Late Policy features; and
- Discovering how students use the grade functionality.
Enabling Students to Curate a Video Library in Echo360 ALP: April 8, noon-1 p.m.
The session will demonstrate the benefits to granting students permission to curate a video library for a study guide
Summer Lovin': Prepping Your Courses for Next Semester: April 22, noon-1 p.m.
The summer or fall semester is just around the corner. In this session, we will discuss things you can do to get your courses ready. We will show you some shortcuts to speed up the process and share some best practices to make it easier for each semester.