Jim Linder, M.D., Nebraska Medicine CEO, and Jeffrey P. Gold, M.D., UNMC Chancellor released the following memo -- "Guidance for faculty, providers, staff and students who recently traveled to China" -- to faculty, providers, staff and students on Friday:
UNMC and Nebraska Medicine faculty, providers, staff and students who have returned from China on Friday, Jan. 24, or later must self-quarantine for 14 days after leaving China before returning to work or class.
As of Feb. 2, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is screening all travelers from China for symptoms of the novel coronavirus. These travelers are also being required to self-quarantine and monitor for symptoms for 14 days after they return.
Out of abundance of caution and at the recommendation of our infectious disease experts, we are extending the federal guidance to include all UNMC/Nebraska Medicine faculty, providers, staff and students who are still within 14 days of returning to the U.S. If you have traveled to China and returned on Friday, Jan. 24 or later, you are expected to self-quarantine in your home for 14 days beginning the day of your arrival and should not report to work or class.
If this applies to you, here are the steps you should take:
- 1. Register with your local county health department and follow instructions for symptom monitoring. Contact information for all county health departments in Nebraska is available here. Iowa county health department contact information is available here.
- 2. Contact your manager if you are an employee, your department administrator or chair if you are a faculty member or provider or the UNMC student health clinic (402-559-5158) if you are a student.
- 3. During self-quarantine, if you experience a fever or respiratory symptoms, contact your county health department for further instruction.
- 4. Receive authorization to return to work or class if you do not develop symptoms during your 14-day quarantine by contacting Nebraska Medicine Employee Health (402-552-3563) if you are an employee or the UNMC student health clinic if you are a student (402-559-5158).
- 5. At the conclusion of the 14 day self-quarantine period, if you are symptom free and have checked in with Employee Health or Student Health, you will be welcomed back to your usual position and accustomed duties.
UNMC and Nebraska Medicine are working closely with federal agencies to protect our community. Self-quarantine of those who have returned from China within 14 days is among the actions our organizations are taking to ensure safety.
Faculty, provider, staff and student travel to China is currently restricted. We will continue to update you with the latest information on this developing situation.
Thank you for your understanding and for helping to protect the health of our learning and caring community.