Effective today, the three programs -- International Health and Medical Education, Asia Pacific Rim Development Program and International Business Development -- will combine into one new program: the Office of Global Engagement (OGE).
"Combining three outstanding programs under one name is a more effective way to support our international students and our global engagement activities across the campus," said Jane Meza, Ph.D., associate vice chancellor for global engagement.
Bruce Grogan, director of global engagement for UNMC, agreed. "Operating as the Office of Global Engagement creates greater efficiencies and clarity among the populations we serve and allows for a more cohesive response to our students, faculty, staff and global partners."
The Office of Global Engagement promotes international diversity, fosters global understanding and awareness, and advances internationalization efforts throughout the UNMC community. The office also:
- Provides support to and advocate for the university's international community including students, faculty, staff and scholars;
- Facilitates and coordinates diverse opportunities for global learning experiences;
- Coordinate bilateral exchange programs for health science rotations and research with UNMC's global partners;
- Develops and manages observership and training programs;
- Manages the U.S. immigration and visa sponsorships of international students, faculty, staff and visitors on behalf of UNMC;
- Collaborates with UNMC departments to ensure compliance with UNMC policies including compliance training, immunizations, and export control;
- Develops capacity in the health care sector:
- Bolsters economic development in Nebraska and the world;
- Coordinates various international and cultural engagement opportunities; and
- Develops and maintains academic collaborations and business partnerships.
"This change is another step forward in making global engagement a seamless experience at UNMC," Dr. Meza said.
July 01, 2020 at 7:17 PM
Awesome News! Congratulations!