Shahbaz Ali Malik, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Shahbaz Ali Malik, MD
- Hometown: Kohat, Pakistan
- Title and department at UNMC/: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Percutaneous coronary interventions, including high risk PCI
- Mechanical circulatory support and large bore access
- Percutaneous transcatheter valve procedures, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Clinical outcomes and quality improvement in coronary and percutaneous structural interventions
How I fell in love with cardiology: I wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid. I fell in love with cardiology specifically because I found the movement of the heart, along with its valves, fascinating. When this is coupled with the resilience and steadfastness of the organ, which beats some 2 billion times during an average lifetime, it's hard to imagine anything more inspiring. Interventional cardiology allows for an opportunity to immediately make a difference in a patient's care. We continually walk a tightrope in the cardiac catheterization laboratory -- a voyage I'm thrilled to be on, and one through which I feel most privileged to have our remarkable team and crew with me at all times.
- MBBS, Khyber Medical College, Pakistan
- Residency, internal medicine, University of North Dakota School of Medicine, Fargo, 2015
- Cardiology fellowship, UNMC, 2019
- Interventional cardiology fellowship, UNMC, 2020
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American College of Cardiology
Three things people may not know about me:
- I love playing football. I've traded in my shoulder pads for flag football, though, for obvious reasons.
- I'm a huge nerd for all things space, time and celestial.
- I love playing video games. I'm rarely without an old school Super Mario, Mega Man or Toy Story T-shirt on underneath my scrubs. (A big shout out to my wife, for indulging me!)
- Nebraska Medical Center
- Durham Outpatient Center Heart and Vascular Center
- Bellevue Medical Center
For appointments and referrals: 402-559-8888
Congratulations Dr. Malik!
Dr Malik welcome to the staff, great having you work with the team.
Welcome to UNMC and Omaha.