Olabisi Sheppard, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Olabisi Sheppard, MD
- Hometown: Lagos, Nigeria
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Surgery, Division of Acute Care Surgery
- Surgical critical care outcomes and innovation.
- Trauma management outcomes and innovation
- Emergency general surgery
- Patient advocacy
How I fell in love with surgical critical care and acute care surgery: Throughout the years of my medical education and surgical training, the concept of critical and innovative thinking has always been rejuvenating to me. I am not satisfied with the status quo, and I am constantly evaluating ways to improve outcomes for my patients.
I always wanted to be involved in critical care innovations that make it possible to care for very sick patients through ongoing commitment to research and development.
I hope to use this skill to bridge the health disparity gap, nationally and internationally, and to help in the development and implementation of self-sustaining health systems that have a solid foundation in surgical critical care and acute care surgery.
- MD, University of Minnesota
- Residency, general surgery, Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Fellowship, surgical critical care, Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor
- American College of Surgeons
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
Three things people may not know about me:
- I get lifted when singing praises to God.
- I am multilingual, and I enjoy learning new languages because I enjoy connecting with different people groups.
- I love cooking!
Welcome To UNMC, Dr. Sheppard! Let’s be in touch as I would love to hear more about your interests especially related to patient advocacy and healthcare disparities.