Juan Santamaria, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Juan Antonio Santamaria, MD
- Hometown: Panama City, Republic of Panama
- Title and department at UNMC/Title at Nebraska Medicine: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology
- Breast cancer
- Oncoplastic breast surgery
- Benign breast disease
- Cutaneous surgical oncology
- Soft tissue sarcoma
How I fell in love with surgical oncology: I became a cancer doctor because of my father, who is a medical oncologist in Panama. As a teenager, I was able to go to his clinic and also observed cancer surgeries in the operating room. Seeing the surgeons in action convinced me to become a surgeon myself.
Being a surgical oncologist offers me the opportunity to treat cancer with a multidisciplinary team approach, which in my opinion is the best possible way to treat cancer. Performing cancer operations is highly rewarding, since one has the immediate ability to render a patient cancer-free.
- MD, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- Research fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Research fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York
- Internship and residency, general surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, McGovern Medical School, Houston
- Fellowship, complex general surgical oncology, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, California
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Society of Surgical Oncology
Three things people may not know about me:
- I have three Weimaraner show dogs that are absolutely insane.
- I was born in Detroit, but I grew up in Panama.
- I traveled to more than 20 countries while in medical school with a musical group called "La Tuna," and I used to play the lute.
- Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, 505 S. 45th St., Omaha
- Cancer Center at Village Pointe Health Center, 111 N. 175th St., Omaha
For appointments and referrals:
- 402-559-5600 Dr. Sheritta StrongOctober 28, 2020 at 8:46 PM
So glad you are here. Welcome to UNMC!Ana Yuil-ValdesOctober 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM
Welcome to Omaha!! Bienvenido!Karina BishopOctober 28, 2020 at 11:58 AM
The Panamanians in Omaha Community Grows! Bienvenido!Dan GriceOctober 28, 2020 at 10:51 AM
Welcome to UNMC Dr. Santamaria! Weimaraners very cool dogs - LOTS of energy!E Silva, MD, PhDOctober 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM
Bienvenido, Juan!Aislinn RookwoodOctober 28, 2020 at 9:08 AM
Welcome Dr. Santamaria!