Shelby Bennett, PharmD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Shelby Bennett, PharmD
- Hometown: Galva, Iowa
- Title and department at UNMC: Clinical assistant professor, UNMC Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science and Office of Experiential Programs, College of Pharmacy
- Pharmacist-provided clinical services in the community setting
- Improving communication (especially as it relates to providing effective feedback)
- Workplace authenticity
- Methods of learning
How I fell in love with pharmacy:
I got interested in pharmacy after seeing an independent pharmacist counsel an older patient on a new inhaler device. The way the patient's mindset changed from anxious and unsure to grateful and confident as a result of her interaction with the pharmacist had me hooked. I started shadowing area pharmacies, and spending a day with a compounding pharmacist sealed the deal. I was intrigued by the compounding process itself, but I also loved how personalized compounded products could be for both human and pet patients.
My love for hands-on pharmacy education came a few years later. My first rotation P4 year was an academic rotation in the skills lab (newly renamed Dispensing and Patient Care course) at Creighton University. The incredibly grateful feedback I received from those distance pathway students for sharing my time and knowledge was so rewarding (and surprising!), and the culture of learning made me feel right at home. I enjoyed the team atmosphere, and I'd finally found a useful outlet for my love of writing.
Several months later I flipped my post-grad plans upside down and pursued a community-based pharmacy residency with a focus on teaching, and I haven't looked back.
- PharmD pre-requisites, Creighton University
- PharmD, Creighton University
- Residency, community-based pharmacy practice, University of Kansas and Balls Food Stores, Overland Park, Kansas
- American Pharmacists Association
- Nebraska Pharmacists Association
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
Three things people may not know about me:
- I am on a mission to visit all 50 states by the end of 2021.
- Many of my hobbies include music.
- I love to try new foods and eventually try making them myself!
Congrats Shelby, very proud of you.
What an accomplishment! So proud of you!
Congrats, Shelby! Best wishes on your new adventures.