Mark Hamill, MD, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
Name: Mark Hamill, MD
Hometown: Point Lookout, New York
Title at UNMC and Nebraska Medicine: Associate professor, UNMC Department of Surgery, Division of Acute Care Surgery; critical care surgeon, Nebraska Medicine.
Professional and medical interests:
- Education in critical care, trauma surgery and general surgery
- Quality improvement in general surgery, trauma surgery and surgical intensive care
- Firearms injuries and ballistics
- Prehospital trauma care and critical care
- Transfusion practices in surgery and critical care with a specific interest in massive transfusion
- MD, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York
- Residency, general surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina
- Fellowship, surgical critical care,the University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas
How did you fall in love with medicine: Prior to attending medical school, I was an EMT for my local fire department and the New York City EMS system. In addition, I worked as a police officer for the New York City Police Department in the mid-1990s. Through these experiences, my interest in trauma and critically ill patients gelled into a commitment to a career in medicine -- specifically in trauma surgery and surgical intensive care medicine. During medical school, I continued to work part time as both a paramedic and police officer, which only increased my commitment to trauma and critical care. I'm probably a bit of an adrenaline junkie, which also doesn't hurt!
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Critical Care Medicine
- Academy of Master Surgeon Educators
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Southeastern Surgical Congress
- Surgical Infection Society
- Association for Surgical Education
- American Medical Association
Three things people don’t know about me:
- I am an avid firearms enthusiast and am looking to get started in competitive shooting.
- Since I wasn't busy enough - I completed my private pilot training and obtained my pilots license while in medical school.
- I worked as a police officer for almost 10 years prior to graduating from medical school.
Locations: General Surgery Clinic at Lauritzen Outpatient Center
Appointments and referrals: 402-559-4017
Welcome Dr. Hamill! We are so excited to have you here!