The NIH Data Sharing Policy page has links to information on:
- The NIH Data Sharing Policy page has links to information on:
- NIH Public Access Policy and NIH Public Access FAQs
- NIH Data Sharing Policy
- NIH Data Sharing Implementation Guidance
- NIH Data Sharing Workbook
- Other Data Sharing Documents and Resources
NIH Data Policy
"NIH reaffirms its support for the concept of data sharing. We believe that data sharing is essential for expedited translation of research results into knowledge, products, and procedures to improve human health. The NIH endorses the sharing of final research data to serve these and other important scientific goals. The NIH expects and supports the timely release and sharing of final research data from NIH-supported studies for use by other researchers" (see NIH Goals of Data Sharing).
NIH Data Management Plan Requirements
"Starting with the October 1, 2003 receipt date, investigators submitting an NIH application seeking $500,000 or more in direct costs in any single year are expected to include a plan for data sharing or state why data sharing is not possible" (see Final NIH Statement on Sharing Research Data).
"It is expected that the data sharing discussion will be provided primarily in the form of a brief paragraph immediately following the Research Plan Section of the PHS 398 application form (i.e., immediately after I. Letters of Support), and would not count towards the application page limit."
The NIH policy on data sharing applies:
- To the sharing of final research data (see "Definitions") for research purposes.
- To basic research, clinical studies, surveys, and other types of research supported by NIH. It applies to research that involves human subjects. It is especially important to share unique data that cannot be readily replicated.
- To applicants seeking $500,00 or more in direct costs in any year of the proposed project period through grants, cooperative agreements, or contracts.
- To research applications submitted beginning October 1, 2003.
- Must be seeking a grant award of $500,000 or more
- Include a plan for data sharing or state why data sharing is not possible
- "Timely release and sharing" and sharing of data will occur no later than the acceptance for publication of the main findings from the final data set (see NIH Data Sharing Policy)
See also the NIH Grants Policy Statements for current policy changes.