The MSBRF provides an opportunity for students from UNMC, CU and the Midwest region to prepare abstracts of their original research and to present their work to faculty and peers in a collegial, low-stress learning environment.
The forum allowed 126 students (86 graduate students/residents and 40 medical/professional students) to present their research in oral and poster sessions. The students were from:
- Creighton University Medical Center.
- Chicago Medical School and the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
- University of Michigan.
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
Each abstract is reviewed by three judges, and then three additional judges are used to judge the oral or poster presentation on the day of the forum. The forum provides eight awards for medical/professional students and eight awards for graduate students/residents (four for poster presentations and four for oral presentations).
The winners: Poster presentation, medical students
- First place: Matthew Fadus, CU.
- Second place: Shradha Samuel, CU.
- Third place: Timothy Malouff, CU.
- Fourth place: Jennifer Shehan, UNMC.
Poster presentation, graduate students
- First place: Kiran Sapkota, UNMC.
- Second place: Chandrani Mukhopadhyay, UNMC.
- Third place: Kasturi Banerjee, UNMC.
- Fourth place: Shrabasti Roychoudhury, UNMC.
Oral presentation, medical students
- First place: Daniel McDonald, CU.
- Second place: Dillon Clarey, UNMC.
- Third place: Suraj Jaisinghani, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science.
- Fourth place: Joseph Chen, CU.
Oral presentation, graduate students
- First place: Marsha Pierce, CU.
- Second place: Michael Price, UNMC.
- Third place: Hollie Siebler, UNMC.
- Fourth place: Tian Zhou, UNMC.
In addition to the forum awards, UNMC departmental awards also were given, including:
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology oral presentation cash award: James Reinecke.
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology oral presentation cash award, second place: Suhasini Joshi
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology poster presentation cash award: Kasturi Banerjee
- Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology cash award: Michael Price
- Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center cash award: Hollie Siebler
- Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy cash award: Shrabasti Roychoudhury
- Graduate College cash award: Michael Price
- Department of Pathology and Microbiology cash award: Abhilasha Purohit