The New Investigator Award
New Investigator Awards go to outstanding UNMC scientists who in the past two years have secured their first funding from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense or other national sources. New Investigators also had to demonstrate scholarly activity such as publishing their research and/or presenting their findings at national conventions.
- Name: Martin Conda Sheridan, Ph.D.
- Title: Assistant professor, UNMC College of Pharmacy
- Joined UNMC: 2015
- Hometown: Buenos Aires, Argentina
The goal of my research is to merge material sciences and medicinal chemistry. We want to develop nanostructures and small molecules that can treat bacterial infections and cancer
My research will make a difference because we hope we can develop treatments with limited toxicity and enhanced therapeutic action. We are also interested in developing novel nanoparticles.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
I am not sure, but there are several phrases I use to motivate myself:
- "Morning news is old at noon" (meaning we need to always do something new)
- "But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."
- "No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
Three things you may not know about me
- When l was a little kid, I loved to read sports magazines (and I still do).
- I have visited 22 states.
- My dream is to go to a Mexican restaurant and just eat dessert (or get invited to Rodizio's grill...)
Congratulations Dr. Conda Sheridan!
Congratulations, Martin! Great successes!