The New Investigator Award
New Investigator Awards go to outstanding UNMC scientists who in the past two years have secured their first funding from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense or other national sources. New Investigators also had to demonstrate scholarly activity such as publishing their research and/or presenting their findings at national conventions.
- Name: Kim Scarsi, Pharm.D.
- Title: Associate professor of pharmacy practice, College of Pharmacy
- Joined UNMC: November 2013
- Hometown: Rapid City, S.D.
The goal of my research is to optimize medication therapy for patients living with HIV. The focus of my research is influenced by my work in low- and middle-income countries, where there are unique issues affecting women living with HIV, as well as men and women who are co-infected with HIV and tuberculosis (TB).
My research will make a difference in the lives of patients living with HIV and TB by providing evidence that can be used to optimize medication therapy for people throughout the world.
The best advice I've ever been given is to apply this quote from Margaret Mead to your local and global community: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Three things you may not know about me
- Thanks to my parents' encouragement, I am a first-generation college graduate.
- I can't find my way around a kitchen, so I'm fortunate to have a husband who is an amazing amateur chef.
- We lived in Chicago for 14 years before moving to Omaha, so we are diehard Cubs and Bears fans. At least this was a good year for one of the two teams!
Congrats Dr Scarsi! Very well deserved. Looking forward to opportunities to work with you on research projects in Nigeria.
Congratulations Kim, we are and have always been so very proud of your accomplishments.
You're amazing Dr. Kim!
Congrats! We are very proud of you. You work very hard and deserve the recognition.
Congrats Dr. Scarsi, proud to call you a dear friend.
Congratulations, Dr. Scarsi! What an amazing achievement!
Congratulations, Kim. This is an outstanding recognition of your achievements.
Congratulations Kim! Well deserved!