No colleagues, faculty or students have been involved in any reported incident, but the following safety tips are good to follow when on campus or anywhere in the city.
- Walk with someone else when possible, and lock your car door immediately upon entering it.
- Close your car windows and sunroof. Lock the doors and activate any security devices when leaving your car unattended.
- Never leave cash, credit cards, cell phones, sunglasses, vehicle documents or other valuables in your car.
- Never leave your keys in the car, even for a second -- treat them as you would your cash and credit cards.
- Park with care, particularly at night. If possible, park in a busy, well-lit area and park near colleagues and/or classmates.
- Be aware of your surroundings as you approach your car, even looking underneath as you approach it.
- Have your keys in your hand as you approach your car.
- Check the backseat and floor before entering your car.
- If you are on the UNMC/Nebraska Medical Center Campus and you notice something unusual in or around your car, keep walking to a safe place and call security dispatch at 402-559-5111. If you are off campus, call the police at 911.
- If at any time you feel unsafe, arrange for a complimentary campus security escort to your vehicle by calling 402-559-5111.
As a reminder: If you are threatened anywhere or at any time, notify the police immediately by dialing 911. If the threat occurs on campus or pertains to your work or study on campus, or could impact your safety and/or the safety of others on campus, report the situation immediately to security dispatch at 402-559-5111.