Carrie McAdam-Marx, Ph.D., is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Carrie McAdam-Marx, Ph.D.
- Hometown: Cimarron, Kansas
- Title and department at UNMC: Professor and program director of the master's program, UNMC Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, College of Pharmacy
- Pharmacotherapy health services research
- Outcomes research
How I fell in love with pharmacy: I fell in love with pharmacy when I discovered that a pharmacy degree can be a key to the world, not just a key to the pharmacy. Because I was a pharmacist and understood health care, I held positions in managed care pharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry that I would have never thought possible while in pharmacy school, including jobs that allowed me to live and travel abroad. My training and experience brought a unique and valued perspective to these roles, which made me love being a pharmacist all the more. These non-traditional career opportunities also allowed me to discover where I can best contribute -- data analyses and project management. Armed with this insight, I went back for a Ph.D. and embarked on an academic career with a focus on pharmacy health services research and graduate education. While I could have landed here by way of a less circuitous route, it would not have been nearly as enlightening, nor as fun!
- B.S., pharmacy, University of Kansas (Rock Chalk!)
- Residency and M.S. in hospital pharmacy, University of Minnesota
- Ph.D., health policy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
- M.S., clinical investigation, University of Utah
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Diabetes Association
- International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research
Three things people may not know about me:
- I run ultramarathons -- for fun.
- My husband and I are DINKWADs -- dual income, no kids, with a dog (two, actually).
- My first job was as a soda jerk in a small-town, independent pharmacy. The pharmacists talked me into going to pharmacy school. The rest, as they say, is history.
Thanks for sharing with all! Enjoyed it so much! Your Mom is so proud looking down on you and your Dad!
Congratulations on your new position, so proud of you!
Awesome Carrie! So nice to read about all your accomplishments. Fond memories with your family in Cimarron.
Congratulations Carrie! You have accomplished so much! Well done!
Congrats, Carrie! Proud to know you.
Hi Carrie, Very impressive. You have accomplished much and will continue to do even more. We have fond memories of your folks, you, Jill and Jimmy living in the duplex In South Cimarron.