Kate West, physician assistant-certified, is a new faculty member at UNMC.
- Name: Kate West
- Hometown: Mitchell, Nebraska
- Title and department at UNMC: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Physician Assistant Education, College of Allied Health Professions
- Academic attrition in health care students
- Best practices in student remediation.
How I fell in love with practicing medicine: I developed a deep appreciation for medical providers while growing up in rural Nebraska, and I knew at a young age that I could positively impact my community by practicing medicine as a physician assistant (PA). The education that I received at UNMC nearly 20 years ago has enabled me to work in family medicine and pediatrics, hospitalist and as an active duty Army PA. The outstanding PA faculty that trained me at UNMC inspire my commitment to educate the next generation of PAs and give back to Nebraska and my profession.
- Doctor of Medical Science (candidate), University of Lynchburg, 2020
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies, UNMC, 2005
- Bachelor of Science, Human Biology, Chadron State College, 2003
- Nebraska Academy of Physician Assistants
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Association of Medical Education in Europe
- International Association of Medical Science Educators
Three things people may not know about me:
- I enjoy playing the piano.
- I ran a half marathon while deployed in Iraq.
- I have traveled the Beaujolais, Chablis, Chardonnay and Champagne wine regions of France.
Welcome to Omaha and UNMC/NM. We have great wines in Omaha as well.