This profile is part of a series to highlight the researchers who will be honored at a ceremony for UNMC's 2019 Scientist Laureate, Research Leadership, Distinguished Scientist and New Investigator Award recipients.
- Name: Kim Scarsi, Pharm.D.
- Title: Associate professor of pharmacy practice and science, College of Pharmacy
- Joined UNMC: November 2013
- Hometown: Rapid City, South Dakota
- HIV pharmacology
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
The goal of my research is to use pharmacologic strategies to improve the clinical care of persons living with HIV. The focus of my research is influenced by my work in low- and middle-income countries, where there are unique issues affecting women living with HIV, as well as individuals who are co-infected with HIV and tuberculosis.
My research will make a difference in the lives of patients living with HIV by providing evidence that can be used to optimize medication therapy for people throughout the world.
The best advice I've ever been given is: To apply this quote from Margaret Mead to your local and global community: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Three things you may not know about me are:
- Thanks to my parents' encouragement, I am a first-generation college graduate.
- I can't find my way around a kitchen, so I'm fortunate to have a husband who is an amazing amateur chef.
- We lived in Chicago for 14 years before moving to Omaha, so we are diehard Cubs and Bears fans. There is always next year for both teams!
Go Bears! Congratulations on your award!
Hearty Congratulations Kim for this well deserved award. Wish you more success in future too!