Editor’s Note: Since the announcement, Raymond Bergan, MD, has joined the search committee. His name has been added to the full list below.
A nearly 30-member search committee has been formed to begin a formal search for UNMC’s new College of Nursing dean.
UNMC’s Kyle Meyer, PhD, dean of the UNMC College of Allied Health Professions, will chair the committee, which includes representation from the medical center, as well as area health systems and academic institutions.
UNMC Chancellor Jeffrey P. Gold, MD, has charged the committee with finding a successor for College of Nursing Dean Juliann Sebastian, PhD, who, in March 2022, announced plans to retire in early 2023. Dr. Sebastian joined UNMC in October 2011 and oversees brick-and-mortar divisions across the state of Nebraska, with locations in Scottsbluff, Kearney, Norfolk, Lincoln and Omaha.
In addition to Dr. Meyer, search committee members include:
- Trina Aguirre, PhD, associate professor, UNMC College of Nursing-West Nebraska Division
- Teresa Anderson, director, Central District Health Department
- Michael Ash, MD, vice chancellor for information technology, Nebraska Medicine
- Michele Balas, PhD, associate dean for research, Dorothy Hodges Olson Chair in Nursing, UNMC College of Nursing—Omaha Division
- Bob Bartee, vice chancellor for external relations, UNMC
- Raymond Bergan, MD, deputy director of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center and Bill Bures and Jerry Pabst Chair in Cancer Research at UNMC
- Charles Bicak, PhD, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Pam Boyers, PhD, associate vice chancellor for iEXCEL, UNMC
- Brad Britigan, MD, dean, UNMC College of Medicine
- Steph Burge, DNP, assistant professor, Kearney Division
- Ken Cowan, MD, PhD, director & physician-in-chief, Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center
- Christine Eisenhauer, PhD, associate professor, UNMC College of Nursing-Northern Division
- Kathy English, executive vice president, chief operations officer and chief nursing officer, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
- Janet Guthmiller, DDS, PhD, dean, UNMC College of Dentistry
- Ali Khan, MD, MPH, dean, UNMC College of Public Health
- Susan Kraft Mann, interim vice chancellor for business, finance and business development, UNMC
- Jennifer Larsen, MD, vice chancellor for research, UNMC
- Andy Lim, graduate research assistant, UNMC College of Nursing-Omaha Division
- Emily McElroy, dean, McGoogan Health Sciences Library, UNMC
- Karoly Mirnics, MD, PhD, director, Munroe-Meyer Institute, UNMC
- Aaron Mohs, PhD, president, UNMC Faculty Senate; associate professor, College of Pharmacy
- Elizabeth Mollard, PhD, secretary-treasurer, UNMC Faculty Senate; UNMC College of Nursing—Lincoln Division
- Lisa Muschall, director of administration and operations, UNMC College of Nursing
- Sue Nuss, PhD, chief nursing officer, Nebraska Medicine, and associate dean for Nebraska Medicine Nursing, UNMC College of Nursing
- Keith Olsen, PharmD, dean, UNMC College of Pharmacy
- Randy Schmailzl, president, Metropolitan Community College
- Sue Schuelke, PhD, assistant professor, UNMC College of Nursing—Lincoln Division
- Sheritta Strong, MD, assistant vice chancellor for inclusion, UNMC
- Frank Venuto, chief human capital officer, Nebraska Medicine
- Anne Bowen, senior assistant to the chancellor, UNMC
The committee, which first met on May 12, will commence regular meetings to discuss next steps, including reviewing and formalizing a position description, identifying a national search firm and creating a web page related to the search. Questions or recommendations of applicants may be directed to Dr. Meyer and Anne Bowen.