In which programs do the Nebraska State Colleges and the University of Nebraska-Kearney participate?
Peru State College participates in the Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Lab Science, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, and Radiology programs.
Chadron and Wayne State Colleges participate in the Medical Laboratory Science, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant and Radiography programs.
University of Nebraska Kearney participates in the Medical Laboratory Science, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant and Radiography programs.
Who should apply and when?
Students from rural Nebraska communities may apply to the RHOP and KHOP programs at the same time they apply for admission to the state college and/or UNK. All application materials must be received by the state college and/or UNK no later than December 1st for application consideration the following academic year.
Under circumstances when a seat in a program at a state college or UNK becomes open and there is no alternate, a special application period may be opened for existing students on the applicable campus.
How will students be selected?
RHOP and KHOP were designed for rural Nebraska students interested in practicing health care in rural communities throughout the state. The selection is based on, but not restricted to, an applicant’s:
- Demonstration of academic achievement indicative of the ability to succeed in the applicable UNMC program;
- Being from a rural area of Nebraska;
- Demonstration of commitment to practice in the rural areas of Nebraska as validated by interview questions.
What is expected?
Selection to RHOP or KHOP is a joint investment of time and effort. Students are expected to complete the necessary academic requirements of the program. UNMC along with UNK and the three state colleges (Chadron, Peru and Wayne) will provide additional opportunities to achieve students’ long-term goal to practice in rural Nebraska including:
- Exposure to health care settings and practices
- Interaction with other students interested in the health professions
- Exposure to practical experiences in rural health
- Visits and contact with UNMC, the college of your health profession, its alumni and students
- All science and math courses must be taken at CSC, WSC, PSC or UNK
Where can I get an application?
- Students must submit an application for admission to CSC, PSC, WSC and or UNK along with the RHOP/KHOP application
- Students may apply to more than one program - CSC, WSC, PSC, and UNK – however, if chosen, students are expected to interview on campus at each location.
- Students may apply for only one professional field
- Once accepted through RHOP or KHOP, if a student decides to pursue a different health profession, the student lose their RHOP or KHOP status
- All materials must be received by CSC, PSC, WSC or UNK no later than December 1st for application consideration for the following academic year
- Alternates are also chosen in the event that students with guaranteed positions do not successfully complete their studies at CSC, PSC, WSC or UNK; however, the alternates do not receive guaranteed admission or a tuition waiver while in an alternate status
Students must submit an application for admission to CSC, PSC, WSC and/or UNK along with the RHOP/KHOP application.