Today we meet:
The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- Name: Rongshi Li, Ph.D.
- Title: Professor, UNMC College of Pharmacy
- Joined UNMC: Sept. 16, 2013
- Hometown: Jilin, China
Antibiotic and anti-cancer drug discovery
The goal of my research is to discover novel antibiotic and anticancer therapeutics. I have been using innovative approaches including but not limited to fragment-based, structure-guided and natural product-derived design and synthesis of small molecules to develop antibiotic and anticancer agents.
My research will make a difference because these novel antibiotic and anticancer agents target drug resistance. Our novel natural product derivatives exhibit unique activities against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, and anticancer properties with high potency and selectivity. They display a desirable pharmacokinetic profile, good bioavailability and no toxicities.
The best advice I've ever been given is "never give up."
Three things you may not know about me
- I have maintained the accuracy of my free throw at 90 percent and jump shot at 80 percent for many years.
- After moving to Omaha, I learned to cook steak and became the best chef you will find in a chemistry laboratory.
- My bosses and colleagues in the biotech/pharma industry called me "Mr. Careful."
Congratulations, Rongshi! You certainly have made important contributions in your field. We're all proud of you.
Impressed with your FT and jump shot accuracy! Let us know if you hear from the NBA.
Congratulations, Rongshi! Wonderful recognition of your outstanding work.It is a pleasure to know you.