- Name: Amar Singh, Ph.D.
- Title: Associate professor, UNMC Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine
- Joined UNMC: Oct. 1, 2014
- Hometown: Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh India
The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Colorectal cancer
- Renal cell carcinoma
The goal of my research is:
Our long-term research goals are:
- To develop prognostic biomarkers of disease severity for the IBD, therapy response, and progression to colitis-associated colon cancer (CAC).
- To identify novel therapeutic targets for limiting disease onset and progression.
- To identify probiotic factors and dietary interventions for improving gut barrier functions.
- To provide mechanistic understanding of renal injury/repair, fibrosis, and renal clear cell carcinoma for therapeutic gains.
My research will make a difference because:
Hippocrates, the great physician of his time, described, "All disease begins in the gut." Now, thousands of years later, we strongly believe that our gut is the "epicenter" for the health in our body. Moreover, researchers believe that supporting intestinal health and restoring the integrity of the gut wall will be one of the most important goals of medicine in the next 10 years, which is the central focus of the studies in our laboratory. Importantly, we are investigating the role and regulation of the gut barrier in mucosal inflammatory conditions as well as neoplastic transformation and growth. We also study how cellular stress response machinery (autophagy), gut microbiota and barrier properties modify each other under pathological conditions and whether prebiotic and/or probiotic interventions can help modulate such interdependences to create a healthy gut microenvironment.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
"Never accept a setback before trying" and "Truth always prevails."
Three things you may not know about me are:
- My beautiful wife is also a scientist and we are proud parents of two handsome young boys.
- One of my deep desires is to travel around the world.
- At a young age, I aspired to become an Air Force pilot to fly supersonic jets.
Congratulations Dr. Singh
I have known Dr. Amar Singh for about 4 years now. he has always been very kind, and greets everyone with a smile. Very dedicated to his work, and hard working. Just don't forget your keys Amar.
Congratulations Amar!! A well-deserved award.