This profile is part of a series to highlight the researchers who will be honored at a ceremony for UNMC's 2020 Scientist Laureate, Distinguished Scientist and New Investigator Award recipients.
- Name: Prasanta Kumar Dash, PhD
- Title: Assistant professor, UNMC Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, College of Medicine
- Joined UNMC: Fall 2008
- Hometown: Nayagarh, Odisha, India
New Investigator Award
New Investigator Awards go to outstanding UNMC scientists who in the past two years have secured their first funding from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense or other national sources. New investigators also had to demonstrate scholarly activity such as publishing their research and/or presenting their findings at national conventions.
- HIV elimination
The goal of my research is:
- To target HIV latent reservoirs (such as lymphoid, myeloid, peripheral and central nervous system) using multimodal approach for its complete elimination.
- To develop ultrasensitive methods to detect infectious HIV from different body compartments for HIV cure validation.
- To evaluate the genomic variability of rebound viruses that escape our treatment paradigm.
My research will make a difference because:
More than a year ago, we were the first group in the world to show HIV-1 elimination from a subset (30%) of infected animals using a combinatorial treatment approach. Our next aim is to improve the targeting strategy that can reach most of the reservoir compartments where the virus resides, recognize and excise it. Our ultimate goal is to find a cure for HIV-infected people.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
- Put your best effort in what you do, but don't expect the outcome.
- Stay grounded in spite of whatever you achieve.
- Aim high but stay happy and be grateful to God for every abundance in your life.
Three things you may not know about me:
- I am very close to my family.
- I am a foodie.
- I was awarded Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation International Fellowship in 2007 while studying in India.
Congratulations Prasanta and best wishes in your future work.
Thank you everyone for your wonderful wishes and encouragement.
Many many congratulations to you. All the best !!
Congratulation to Dr Prasant ! Very proud / happy for ur achievement. Hard work & true dedication pays off with well deserve award . Stay blessed.
Congrats and keep rocking..
Congratulations Prashant 👍
Congratulations on reaching greater heights, we continue to be very proud about you as always.
Super 👌 Congratulations. Keep rocking
Congratulations for your achievement. Go ahead further and achieve more in Future. I hope you will achieve more success in your career.
Thanks everyone for all your wishes and encouragement
Congratulations Prasanta! Well deserved!
Congratulations Prashant!! Well deserved👍👍👍
Many congratulations Dr. Dash.
Congratulations Prashant!! Very well-deserved!! You are and always be an excellent role-model for young scientists!! Looking forward to hearing more about your scientific advancements!!
Many congratulations Prashant !!!! May today's success be the begining of tomorrow's achievement...great news !!! Well deserved👍👍👍
Congratulations Prasant. I'm so proud of you. God bless you to enhance your popularity and to be healthy.
Welcome on Board!