Immigration and Visas

Getting a Visa

After being successfully admitted, you will receive an admissions email containing the contact information for the UNMC International Student Advisor. 

Education USA provides more resources, information, and advice about obtaining a student visa. 

Please Note

1. Having an I-20 does not guarantee the issuance of an F-1 visa.

2. Process of changing visa status inside the U.S. can take 3-5 months.

If you are already in the United States with a different visa status, you may be eligible to change your visa without leaving the country. For more information or to find out if you qualify, contact UNMC’s International Advisor

If you already have an F-1 visa and are studying or have graduated within the last five months at a United States school, notify Graduate Studies. SEVIS requires you to request the school to release your record to UNMC. After the release date, UNMC can process a new I-20 form. Contact UNMC’s International Advisor for more information.

Maintaining Your Immigration Status

International students with F-1 or J-1 visas must remain enrolled full-time during the academic year to keep legal immigration status. This means taking at least 9 credit hours per semester for the fall and spring terms.