Learning, on Your Terms
The thirst for knowledge can still be satisfied even after graduation. You may be looking to further your professional ability, advance in the skills you know, or simply learn something new. However, you’re not looking to commit yourself to a graduate degree that you don’t necessarily want. Here at UNMC, we offer flexibility in non-degree graduate courses for precisely those people.
Becoming a UNMC non-degree student begins with the application.
Re-admittance for additional semesters is required. This includes the completion of a new application and also depends on the student maintaining the same academic standards as those working towards graduate degrees.
Are you eligible to apply to Graduate Studies?
- A minimum of a 4-year U.S. Bachelor's Degree or international equivalent
- Minimum 3.0 GPA, based on a 4-point scale
- Be up-to-date with student immunization policies as well as assigned Compliance Training Requirements.
Deadlines for Application
|Admit Term||Application Opens||Application Closes|
|Spring||Nov. 14||Dec. 15|
|Summer||April 15||May 1|
|Fall||July 26||Aug. 6|
Step 1: Application & Materials
Make sure all of your information is submitted prior to the admit term deadline. Please use a valid email address on your application, as this is how Graduate Studies will communicate with you.
- APPLICATION — Complete the Application for Admission.
UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS — Upload unofficial transcripts from all previous institutions in the application.
Step 2: Application Review
After submitting your application, you’ll receive an email of acknowledgement from Graduate Studies that will give you details on how to monitor your application documents.
REVIEW BY GRADUATE STUDIES — Graduate Studies will conduct a review by checking all eligibility requirements. We will notify you by email if additional materials are needed.
Step 3: Admission & Enrollment
- ACCEPTANCE EMAIL — If you are admitted to Graduate Studies, you'll receive a welcome email detailing important information.
- BACKGROUND CHECK — Complete your background check (read our background check policy).
- Access the One Source background check form.
- There is a fee for this service, which will be made directly to One Source when you submit the form.
- Please have a credit card ready to pay the fee.
- Once you submit your Once Source background check, you will receive a supplemental email directly from DHHS.CFSCR@nebraska.gov (check your junk folder) to complete your Nebraska Adult and Child Abuse registry check.
- ENROLLMENT — You will be notified via email when are able to enroll in classes. All of your class registration will be done through the MyRecords portal. You can view the MyRecords registration procedures for a more comprehensive look at enrolling.
Course Search — Find which courses will be offered by term.
If you take a few non-degree courses and decide that you actually do want to pursue a degree, you can change your standing to full graduate. To do this, you’ll need to submit a complete application to Graduate Studies as a degree-seeking student. You’ll also need to be admitted into an appropriate program by the Dean for Graduate Studies.
Applicable credits you earn in non-degree courses can be used to cover graduate degree requirements, but must be approved by the Graduate Committee, the Supervisory Committee, and the Dean for Graduate Studies. Keep in mind, no more than a third of graduate degree coursework can be taken as a non-degree student.