The Internal Medicine Research Council (IMRC) is a group that was created as a result of a departmental strategic planning session. The IMRC consists of individual representation from each of the divisions within the Department of Internal Medicine. The Vice-Chair for Research is the designated chair of the IMRC.
The IMRC administers the following Departmental activities:
- Oversight of the Internal Medicine Annual Research Awards nomination and selection process: Career Excellence in Research, Clinical Research Award, Basic Science Research Award, Fellowship Research Award, Postdoctoral Research Award, Resident Research Award, Medical Student Research Award, Daughton Research Award, and Laureate Award for a Visiting Scientist.
- Investigate mechanisms to increase grant funding aimed at clinical research and basic science research within the department.
- Integrate the Ph.D. faculty, residents, and fellows to address issues that are research oriented.
- Serve as a group to review grants/manuscripts on an ad-hoc basis.
- Set up a mechanism to find grants, awards, and foundations to apply for grants.
Current IMRC Members:
- Ted Mikuls, MD, IMRC Chair, Vice Chair for Research
- Richard Gumina, MD, PhD, Cardiovascular
- Vijay Shivaswamy, MBBS, Diabetes, Endocrinology, & Metabolism
- Dahn Clemens, PhD, Gastroenterology/Hepatology
- Paul Thomes, PhD, Gastroenterology/Hepatology
- Gay Canaris, MD, MSPH, General Internal Medicine
- Rachel Thompson, MD, MPH, General Internal Medicine, Hospitalists
- Thuy Koll, MD, Geriatrics
- Andre Kalil, MD, MPH, Infectious Diseases
- Benita McVicker, PhD, Nephrology
- Muhamed Baljevic, MD, Oncology/Hematology
- Kristina Bailey, MD, Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep & Allergy
- Bryant England, MD, Rheumatology & Immunology
- Randy McCreery, MD, Resident Representative
- Brett Henderson, MD, Resident Representative
- Angie Peppers, Vice Chair for Finance