Emeritus Faculty (Professor, Internal Medicine)
Division of Infectious Disease
Department of Epidemiology
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2007-present, Professor, College of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology
- 2007-present, Director, Center for Biopreparedness, Biosecurity and Emerging Infectious Diseases
- 1997-present, Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, 1997 to present.
- 1977, University of Iowa Hospitals, Fellow
- 1975, University of Iowa Hospitals, Resident
- 1973, University of Iowa Hospitals, Internship
- 1972, University of Chicago, M.D.
- 1968, University of Wisconsin, B.S.
Biopreparedness and Biocontainment, Infectious Diseases in Long Term Care Facilities, Hospital Infection Control
- Infection Control in Long-Term Care Facilities, 2nd Edition (book). Philip W. Smith, M.D., Editor. Delmar Publishers, Inc. 1994.
- Smith PW, Anderson AO, Christopher GW, et al. Designing a biocontainment unit to care for patients with serious communicable diseases: a consensus statement. Biosecur Bioterror. 2006;4(4):351-65.
- Smith PW, Bennett G, Bradley S, et al. SHEA/APIC guideline: infection prevention and control in the long-term care facility, July 2008. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:785-814.
- Smith PW, Shostrom V, Smith A, Kaufmann M, Mody L. Preparedness for pandemic
influenza in nursing homes: A 2-state survey. JAMA 2008; 300:392-394.
- Smith PW. Death of a Dementia Patient (poem). Annals of Internal Medicine 2009; 151:2:102
- Smith PW, Smith AW, Meza JL. Influenza preparedness in Nebraska assisted living facilities. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science 2009: 7:4:429-432.
- Smith PW, Watkins K,Miller H, Van Schooneveld T. Antibiotic Stewardship Programs in Long-Term Care Facilities. Annals of Long-Term Care: Clinical Care and Aging. 2011;19(4):20-25.
- Smith PW, Hansen K, Sayles H, Brodersen B, Medcalf S. A long-term care facility pandemic influenza preparedness planning assessment tool. Am J Disaster Med. 2011;6(4):219-230.
- Smith PW, Watkins K, Hewlett A. Infection control through the ages. Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40(1):35-42.
- Smith PW, Hewlett AL. Epidemiology and Prevention of Infections in Home Healthcare. In: Mayhall CG, ed. Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012.
- Association of Subspecialty Professors
- American College of Physicians
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- American Geriatrics Society
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC)