Important Contact Information
Ombuds Program Confidential Phone Line
David Carver, PhD
Director, UNMC Ombuds Program
Ombuds office: CON 4011
Susan Swindells, MBBS
Professor, Internal Medicine
The UNMC Ombudspersons are impartial, confidential consultants who help faculty, staff and students to solve work and school-related problems and conflicts through impartial, confidential consultations. The Ombuds can help with a wide variety of issues, especially those concerns that are confusing, complicated, upsetting, or have not been adequately addressed through other university channels.
Ombudsperson services include:
- Active listening to demonstrate accurate understanding
- Confidential assistance with problem definition and clarification
- Objective identification and evaluation of options
- Explaining relevant UNMC policies and procedures
- Communication coaching for difficult conversations
- Informal mediation and “shuttle diplomacy” between parties
- Identifying problem trends while protecting individual privacy
- Recommending positive changes in policies and procedures
Consultations are informal, confidential, and free-of-charge. The Ombuds Program is an impartial, off-the-record, behind-the-scenes resource, but is not the place to file or document formal complaints against the University.
For more information, you can call the confidential Ombuds telephone line at 402-559-2491. Ombuds consultations are available to all UNMC campus locations by telephone or ZOOM.