- Name: Kathleen Hanna, Ph.D.
- Title: Professor and Carol M. Wilson Endowed Chair, UNMC College of Nursing
- Joined UNMC: 2014
- Hometown: Gering, Neb.
The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
Diabetes management among youth
The goal of my research is: To understand the transition from parental-directed to youth-directed diabetes management.
My research will make a difference because: Understanding the behavioral and psychosocial issues around transitions in diabetes management will guide health care workers in strategies to enhance optimal management and well-being of newly independent youth.
The best advice I've ever been given is: To focus one's research career on one's passion.
Three things you may not know about me are:
- I laugh at every Monty Python movie, no matter how many times I have seen it.
- I have shared my home with Labradors and Golden retrievers throughout most of my life.
- I catered desserts for grocery money when I was a Ph.D. student.