The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- Name: Peter Iwen, Ph.D.
- Title: Professor, UNMC Department of Pathology and Microbiology; director, Nebraska Public Health Laboratory; campus senior biosafety officer
- Joined UNMC: October 1978
- Hometown: Arthur, N.D. (small farming community northwest of Fargo, population 350)
The goal of my research is: To develop and optimize assays for the identification of microbial pathogens with an emphasis on fungi and bacteria. Original work in my laboratory showed that the internal transcribe spacer region within the rDNA complex was a useful target for the identification of both the common and uncommon fungal and mycobacterial species. This region has now been recognized as a bar code for identification and has led in part to the identification of three new microbial species, Mycobacterium nebraskense, M. talmoniae, and Philosimplex canis. More recently, my colleagues and I have been involved in the development of protocols for laboratorians to use on how to safely test specimens that might contain a high consequence pathogen. These protocols are currently being shared with multiple U.S. laboratorians through the National Ebola Training and Education Center workshops.
My research will make a difference: By offering new options to enhanced diagnostics to provide a fast and reliable result for optimal patient management.
The best advice I've ever been given is: "Your reaction to adversity defines who you are as a person."
Three things you may not know about me are:
- My wife and I have been married for over 41 years and have reared four successful young adults.
- I have walked more than 45,000 miles from my home to work and back since starting at UNMC.
- I financed part of my undergraduate education employed as a subsurface engineer (i.e. grave digger).
I have always looked up to you as a big cousin. I am very proud of seeing the success you have. I always knew you would be a successful.
Fantastic, Pete! Best wishes for continuing success.
Kudos, Pete. Thanks for all you do! Greatly appreciated.
Congratulations Pete! From another former subsurface engineer.
Congratulations Pete - well done!
Pete, congratulations on a well deserved award and exceptional career.
Congratulations, Pete! UNMC is a better place because you have been part of it!
Congratulations Pete. Well deserved.