- Name: Siddappa Byrareddy, Ph.D. (but most people call me Sid)
- Title: Associate professor, UNMC Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, College of Medicine
- Joined UNMC: September 2015
- Hometown: Nagadenahalli, Karnataka, India
The Distinguished Scientist Award
The Distinguished Scientist Award -- which is sponsored by the chancellor -- recognizes researchers who have been among the most productive scientists at UNMC during the past five years.
- HIV cure
- Drugs of abuse
- Zika pathogenesis
The goal of my research is:
- To develop effective AIDS vaccine/cure and define strategies to prevent new HIV infections;
- To understand the impact of drugs of abuse on HIV infection;
- To evaluate host-virus interaction of emerging viruses such as Zika that could aid in developing novel therapeutics.
My research will make a difference because: We are targeting some important cell types of the immune system to fight against HIV in development of cure strategies. We have recently developed such therapies, proven in animal models (Byrareddy et al., Science 2016) and translated into the clinic. Ongoing, multinational clinical trials will determine whether such therapies will benefit to cure HIV/AIDS. Therefore, I believe that my research will make a difference in treatment strategies for HIV/AIDS and other diseases like cancer.
The best advice I've ever been given is:
- Don't stop until you reach your goal.
- Do the best in whatever you do.
- Do research to create new knowledge.
Three things you may not know about me are:
- I grew up in a joint family with five brothers, two sisters and five close cousins in a remote village.
- I was awarded the Indian National Science Academy Young Scientist Medal for best Ph.D. thesis.
- I was a member of Global Young Academy, aiming to mentor young investigators who are passionate about the role of science in creating a better world.
We are proud of you
Congratulations Sir.. Truly deserve it.
Congratulations Dr. Siddappa!
Congratulations Dr. Siddappa.
Congrats Brother For your achievement being an Indian and made name & Fame in foreign countries.
Congratulations on your accomplishments
Congratulations Siddappa on well-deserved recognition.
Dear Siddappa, We are all always proud of your commitment, Dedication and Passionate about science and research. Its our ego for your achievement and contribution towards Humanity trough your Empathy and Simplicity. Best wishes for your all your Endeavors.. Stay Blessed with good health and Success always.. Well takecare of yourself.. Best regards Dr. Prabhu
Congrats Sid, well deserved my friend
Congratulations Siddappa! Well deserved and wish you for more success in life.
Congrats Sid, well deserved!
Hearty Congratulations Sid. A great milestone in your career. Wish you more success in future.
congrats Sid, you are a great scientists and a great person