Harold M. Maurer Distinguished Chair, Professor
Department of Health Promotions
University of Nebraska Medical Center
College of Public Health
- 2016-present, Harold M. Maurer Distinguished Chair, Health Promotion, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2016-present, Professor, Health Promotion, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- 2010-2016, Professor, Human Nutrition, Food, & Exercise, Virginia Tech
- 2011-2016, Director, Translational Obesity Research Center, Virginia Tech
- 2012-2016, Professor, Family Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- 2012-2016, Senior Director of Research, Carilion Clinic
- 2007-2010, Associate Professor, Human Nutrition, Food, & Exercise, Virginia Tech
- 2003-2007, Research Scientist, Institute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- 1999-2003, Assistant Professor, Kinesiology, Kansas State University
- 1999-2003, Exercise Specialist, Office of Community Health, Kansas State University
- 1996-1999, PhD Kinesiology The University of Western Ontario
- 1990-1993, BPE with Distinction The University of Calgary
- 1994-1996, MSc Kinesiology The University of Calgary
- Dissemination and Implementation Science—studying the process of moving health promotion evidence into community and clinical action. Integrated research-practice partnership processes to improve system supports for physical activity promotion, healthful eating, and weight control. Testing innovative health promotion programs, policies, and practice interventions that can be adapted and adopted in schools, workplaces, communities and healthcare clinics—and provide health promotion opportunities for populations experiencing racial, ethnic, or geographic disparities.
- Estabrooks PA, Brownson RC, Pronk NP. Dissemination and Implementation Science for Public Health Professionals: An Overview and Call to Action. Prev Chronic Dis 2018;15:180525. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd15.180525
- Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Almeida FA, Hill JL, Johnson SE, Porter GC, Greenawald MH. (2019) Using integrated research-practice partnerships to move evidence-based principles into practice. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, 47, 176-187.
- Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Burke SM (2012). Group Dynamics in Physical Activity Promotion: What works? Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 6, 18-40.
- Estabrooks PA, Glasgow RE, Dzewaltowski DA. (2003). Physical activity promotion through primary care. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289, 2913-2916.
- Estabrooks PA, Wilson KE, McGuire TJ, et al. A Quasi-Experiment to Assess the Impact of a Scalable, Community-Based Weight Loss Program: Combining Reach, Effectiveness, and Cost. J Gen Intern Med 2017;32:24-31.
- Glasgow RE, Estabrooks PA. (2018). Pragmatic applications of RE-AIM for health care initiatives in community and clinical settings. Preventing Chronic Disease, 15. http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd15.170271
- Goessl C, Estabrooks P, You W, Britigan D, De Alba A, Almeida F. (2019). Effectiveness of DVD vs. group-initiated diabetes prevention on information uptake for high & low health literacy participants. Patient Education & Counseling, 102, 968-975. (Health Promotion PhD Student Lead Author)
- Hill JL, Zoellner JM, You W, Brock D, Price B, *Alexander RC, Frisard M, *Brito F, *Hou X, Estabrooks PA. (2019). Participatory development and pilot testing of iChoose: an adaptation of an evidence-based paediatric weight management program for community implementation. BMC Public Health. 19 (1), 122. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-6450-9
- Johnson LKJ, Porter GC, Estabrooks PA. Social inequities in childhood obesity: Trends, determinants, and interventions. Obesity in Childhood and Adolescents, 2018. (Health Promotion PhD Student Lead Author)
- Porter GC, Laumb K, MichaudT, Brito F, Petreca D, Schwieger G, Bartee T, Yeary KHK, Estabrooks PA. (2019). Understanding the impact of rural weight loss interventions: A systematic review and meta‐ Obesity Reviews, 20, 713-724. (Health Promotion PhD Student Lead Author)
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity
- Society of Behavioral Medicine