University of Nebraska Medical Center

Tax Information

The University of Nebraska Medical Center cannot provide tax advice.

Former Students: To access your 1098T, follow these instructions for former students and alumni to regain access to MyRecords.


The University of Nebraska will generate and mail 1098-T forms to all qualified students who were enrolled during the Tax Year.

The forms will be mailed by January 31 for the previous year to the student's permanent address unless a billing address has been specified.

IRS Regulations

The IRS requires institutions to report either qualified payments received in box 1 or qualified tuition and fees billed in box 2 on the 1098-T form.

Beginning with the 2017 tax year, the university will report on qualified payments made during the calendar year, January 1 – December 31. This amount is reported in box 1.

Box 1 amount will only include payments made for qualified tuition and related fees, not the total amount of payments posted to the student account. The amount in box 1 is to assist you in determining if you can claim an educational credit; however, this amount may not be the amount you can claim. Please consult the IRS Educational Credit publications and/or your tax advisor for help in determining the amounts you may be able to claim.

Box 5 will show all qualified scholarships and grants that appeared on your billing statement for those terms during the tax year.

Accessing 1098-T Information Online

1098T Summary and Detail information can be viewed online via MyRecords.
We can only provide you with information about what we are required to report on the 1098-T. Please consult your tax advisor for any 1098-T tax related questions.

US Citizens and Non-US Citizens

For U.S. Citizens, your social security number (SSN) is required to process a 1098-T. Please stop by Academic Records and show your SSN card to update our records. Reminder emails will be sent to the accounts of the students without a SSN on file.

Non-U.S. citizens that have an Individual Tax Payer Identification (TIN) can also submit those to Student Accounts and can be used to process a 1098-T.

IRS Publications & Other Forms

For more information on the following, please visit the IRS website, or contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.