Emotional Wellness: Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships.
Environmental Wellness: Encouraging good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments.
Financial Wellness: Satisfaction with current and future financial situations.
Intellectual Wellness: Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand on skills.
Occupational Wellness: Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one's work.
Physical Wellness: Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep.
Social Wellness: Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and support.
Spiritual Wellness: Expanding our sense of purpose and meaning in life.
At UNMC, we make wellness a priority for our students, faculty and staff.
Through programs, talks and activities, UNMC keeps a constant focus on living healthfully and performing to the best of our ability. From our newly upgraded on-site fitness facility and counseling programs to professional development and campus events, UNMC encompasses wellness in every way, emphasizing that it is defined as "a dynamic process of learning new life skills and becoming aware of and making conscious choices toward a more balanced and healthy lifestyle."
Wellness as a lifestyle is described by a model, in which each of eight dimensions influences our sense of well-being or quality of life, and each affects and overlaps with one another.
Mental health resources
- Peers in Need of Support (PiNS) - For colleagues who'd like 1:1 peer support, Nebraska Medicine's confidential Peers in Need of Support (PINS) program is available. Email the PiNS team and someone will reach out to you promptly.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): - Free counseling services for students and residents
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Counseling services for faculty and staff
Peer support and connection:
- Behavioral Health Connection Program – A staff to help you connect to resources in our community, including mental health services, support groups, housing assistance, medical care options, transportation, and prescription assistance programs. Staff are available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (402) 836-9292
- Keep Teaching Canvas Course: Resources and support for UNMC faculty and staff, including campus updates, key support services, health/wellbeing, and technology
- Keep Learning Canvas Course: Resources and support for UNMC students, including campus updates, key support services, health/wellbeing, and technology
- UCLA Mindfulness App: Free app to practice mindfulness and meditation
- CBT-i Coach: Free app for people who have experienced symptoms of insomnia and would like to improve their sleep habits
- VA Mindfulness Coach: Free app that provides a gradual, self-guided training program designed to help you understand and adopt a simple mindfulness practice
- Free Barre Fitness Classes: Link to YouTube videos with free Barre workouts
- YMCA 360: Link to free YMCA health and fitness videos
Support for Children:
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress: Parent/caregiver help for homebound children
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network: Parent/caregiver helping families cope
- Go Noodle: Movement and mindfulness videos for children
Anxiety, Coping, Wellness:
- Resilience Webinars – watch the resilience workshop for healthcare workers
- View the resilience roadmap for Nebraska Medicine/UNMC colleagues
- NPR Tiny Desk Concerts: To calm your mind
- Free Guided Meditations: By a physician, created for the Coronavirus crisis
- Coronavirus Anxiety: Toolkit developed to manage Coronavirus anxiety including free meditations
- Staying Healthy: Tips summarized by a physician
- SAMHSA Training and Resources: Including material on compassion fatigue, telepsychiatry, managing anxiety, dealing with opioid replacement issues
- Arbor Family Counseling, which provides counseling assistance to UNMC employees through the Employee Assistance Program, has created a video with on how to deal with the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and embrace “the new normal” through connection, commitment and community. The video includes tips on stress relief, focusing on the positive, dealing with anxiety and sadness and other helpful suggestions.
- UNMC Talent Treasure Trove: An online mini-series created by the UNMC Alumni Association and UNMC Campus Wellness Program. These short videos are meant to provide viewers with a daily dose of positivity, perhaps laughter, helpful insight for life or just a pleasant time-out from the daily norm, all while showcasing the talents of faculty, staff, students, fellow colleagues, and alumni. To get involved or learn more, send an email to email@example.com.
- Mental Health & Wellness Guide for Public Service Professionals