University of Nebraska Medical Center

VA/Military Education Benefits

We recognize that many service members, veterans, and their dependents have questions about benefits and how to use federal and state assistance.

The Office of Financial Aid processes your benefits and can help answer your questions.  All students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid each year by submitting the FAFSA. Please email finaid@unmc.edu or call 402-559-4199 to schedule an appointment for assistance with VA benefits and federal student aid.

Per Isakson & Roe Section 1018: Prohibit automatic renewal of a covered individual in a course and/or programs. Ensure each covered individual approves of the enrollment in a course. UNMC requires students apply to be admitted to a program. Once admitted the student enrolls themselves or is continuously enrolled by the program (depending on the program of choice) unless they request to withdraw or go on leave.

Select a topic to learn more:


Applying for VA Benefits

VA Benefits Application Overview

There are many different benefits available to active duty, guard, reserve, and veteran students. If you are using benefits for the first time at UNMC, follow these steps to ensure timely processing of your benefit: 

  • Be admitted as a degree-seeking student at UNMC. 
  • Review your eligibility by contacting the VA Education Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 or your assigned Military Representative. 
  • Apply for and track your benefits on the VONAPP 
  • Complete the UNMC VA Certification form on an annual basis. 
  • Review the WEAMS Institution Search for the list of UNMC VA approved programs to confirm that your program is approved for military education benefits. 

VA Benefits can only be applied toward required coursework. Curriculum outlines are available in the UNMC Student Catalog. Registration changes may affect students' VA education benefits and may cause a return and repayment of funds to the VA and/or UNMC.  

If you will be using more than one benefit or other Military Education Benefits, please email finaid@unmc.edu prior to the start of the term to ensure the tuition and fees amounts are certified correctly.   

Please note: The VA determines student eligibility for VA Education benefits and not the UNMC VA Certifying Official.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty

Active-duty service members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months are entitled to receive a monthly education benefit upon completion of two years of active duty.

Apply and Certify Enrollment:

  • Apply for benefits at VONAPP.
  • Verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). 

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® active duty rates are updated annually.

Benefits are typically paid for up to 36 months of training. Once 36 months of Chapter 30 eligibility have been used, a veteran with three years of active-duty service before Aug. 2011 may switch to Chapter 33 and be eligible for an additional 12 months of entitlement. Please call 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a VA Education representative for further information.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® payments are sent directly to the student.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

Upon applying for benefits, the VA will assign a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) to determine your eligibility for VR&E benefits and services. Once approved, your VRC will work with you to develop a plan.

Tuition and fee payment is sent directly to the school.

Non-Title IV funding will be reported against tuition and fee totals that are sent to the VA.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® helps pay for school or job training. If you were an active-duty service member after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

New for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® and VR&E: If you have not applied or used the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, please review your options by calling the VA at 1-888-442-4551 before applying for benefits on VONAPP. Please email the VA Certifying Official if you are considering more than one option.

Spouse or dependent: If you are the spouse or dependent of a veteran, the veteran may be eligible to transfer his/her benefits to you. The veteran will need apply for the transfer of his/her education benefit prior to the student applying for Chapter 33 benefits. Further instructions will be sent by the VA once the veteran applies for the benefits transfer.

Verify Enrollment: To receive the monthly housing allowance (MHA) and/or college fund (“kicker”) payments under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you must verify your enrollment every month starting December 17, 2021.

Yellow Ribbon is for students paying non-resident tuition receiving Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits to bridge the financial gap between the Chapter 33 benefit and actual tuition charges. Students must:

  • be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® at 100% benefit status as determined by the VA;
  • be an active duty service member (or eligible spouse of an active duty service member) enrolled in classes on or after August 1.
  • be enrolled in a qualifying program.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit rates are updated annually. As of August 2015, all veterans and their family members who move to Nebraska within three (3) years of separating from military service are eligible to apply for Nebraska residency.

Tuition and fee payment is sent directly to the school. Non-Title IV funding will be reported against tuition and fee totals that are sent to the VA.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Benefit Rates

Program College Max Benefit per Student (per Academic Year)
Undergraduate College of Dentistry, College of Nursing $99,999
Doctor of Medicine College of Medicine $4,000
Doctor of Dental Surgery College of Dentistry $4,000
Doctoral Programs College of Allied Health Professions $1,000
Graduate/Masters Programs College of Allied Health Professions $500
Graduate/Masters Programs College of Nursing $500
Graduate/Masters Programs College of Public Health $500
Graduate/Masters Programs Graduate Studies $500
Doctoral Programs College of Nursing $500
Doctoral Programs College of Public Health $500

Chapter 35 Dependent Survivor

If you’re the dependent spouse or child, or the surviving spouse or child of a veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill® program.

Chapter 35 payments are sent directly to the student.

In addition to Chapter 35 benefits, you may also be eligible for a State of Nebraska tuition waiver.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery Selected Reserve

How to apply and certify enrollment:

  • Apply for Chapter 1606 at VONAPP
  • Verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Reserve active duty benefit rates are updated annually.

Benefits are typically paid for up to 36 months of training. If all 36 months of Chapter 1606 eligibility have been exhausted and if you’re a member of the Army, Navy Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Army National Guard or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for Chapter 33 benefits. Please contact a VA Education representative at 1-888-442-4551 for further information.

Payments are sent directly to the student.

Federal Military Tuition Assistance

Students should apply for benefits at least two weeks prior to the start of each term.

Military Scholarships

Air Force, Army, Navy Scholarship

Application is made through individual service organizations. Selected applicants are provided tuition and other educational expenses. Scholarships for two to four years are available in exchange for a service obligation with the armed forces.

Air Force:



Program contacts

State Tuition Assistance

Nebraska State Waiver – National Guard

Contact: Nebraska State Tuition Office
Phone: 402-309-8124
Email: ng.ne.nearng.mbx.state-tuition@mail.mil

Effective 1 January 2021, Legislative Bill 450 allows members of the Nebraska National Guard who enroll are in any state-supported university, college, or community college or any independent, not-for-profit, regionally accredited college or university in Nebraska shall be entitled to a credit of 100% of the resident tuition charges of such school for a diploma, certificate, associate degree, or baccalaureate degree program or 50% of the resident tuition charges of such school for a graduate or professional degree program, except that any member who attends an independent, not-for-profit, regionally accredited college or university in Nebraska shall receive a credit in an amount no higher than such member would receive if attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
All Nebraska National Guard members who are approved for tuition assistance must provide the Military Department's Tuition Assistance Office their schedule of courses within 10 business days following the start of each semester.

Reservist Tuition Credit

To be considered for eligibility, students must be pursuing a course of study leading to a degree or certificate and meet the following requirements:

  • Be a Nebraska resident
  • Be an Enlisted member of a Nebraska-based Active Selected Reserve Unit
  • Have agreed to serve a minimum of 3 years in the reserves

There is no lifetime on tuition credit for qualifying members.


Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs
ATTN: Reservist Tuition Credit
PO Box 95083
Lincoln, NE 68509-5083

Nebraska State Tuition Waiver

  1. Download the Waiver of Tuition Application (NDVA Form 3, pages 1 - 2) and complete it legibly.
  2. Email finaid@unmc.edu to obtain Part VI: Student Credentials. The list of Authorized Representatives for all Nebraska public colleges and universities can be found on the website.
  3. Complete and sign all parts of the application and email the application packet along with supporting documents to finaid@unmc.edu. The Office of Financial Aid will submit the information to the State for approval.

Other Resources for VA Students

Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership (VITAL) Program is a collaboration between the VA and higher education institutions designed to help veterans transition from service member to student.

Campus outreach social workers can assist student veterans with VA services and act as an advocate on their behalf.

Kyle Lamb works for VITAL and can assist veteran students with VA health care services and navigating the VA care system. Kyle can be reached via phone at 402-807-6094 or by email.

Additional health services:

The VA has resources and tools to help students and their families succeed: 

Ask VA 

The GI Bill® website now has “Ask VA” to answer your questions. To use the system, users will need a VA.gov account through ID.me and will need to verify their identity. Call the MyVA411 at 800-698-2411 if you need assistance setting up an account.

For additional information regarding the STEM scholarship and to apply, click here.

For vocational exploration and career counseling services, click here.

To compare school rates, click here.

Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE.